Thursday, November 4, 2010

Some Family Language

I am sure everyone is like this, but we have a few words or phrases that are unique to our family. Just thought I would share a few:

"Wockles" = waffles (someone just prounces them that way--I don't know)
"Fancy" = handsome (Somewhere along the line our girls thought the word "fancy" was synonymous with handsome. It is the male form of beautiful and there is absolutely no way to convince them it means anything else. Do not, I repeat, do not, tell Elisa or Ava that they look fancy as they will take it as an insult from the bowels of hell that you would compare them to a boy.)
"Wa-wa" = Noah's way of saying paci, lovey, water, milk, drink or food (and probably many other things). It is a fun little guessing game to see what it is he actually wants.
"Da" = Noah saying yes.
Nakee = Naked, or, one's personal state after leaving the bath tub and dropping one's towel to run about the house.

Let me preface this next one by saying that while I do label body parts correctly for my children, we generally say "boy parts" and "girl parts" when discussing our private areas. I was changing Noah the other day and Elisa was in the room asking me about him. I figured this was as good a time as any to give correct medical terms. After this discussion, she walked away with her own unique take that girls have "jemimas" and boys have "venuses". Ooookay. Job well done, Mom!

2 comments:

The Walmer Family said...

Awesome! you need to write these down to remember later on. :) Wockles is my fave.

SewAnnie said...

Christy,
Desiree sent this blog to me and all week long I've been telling my friends about jemimas and venuses. Love, love, love it!!!

So, today I found your blog and have been sitting here for 45 minutes reading it. My view: you are honest, open and an amazing woman... keeping it "real".

I also blog and wrote this and thought you might like it:
http://www.helium.com/items/944255-family-joy-of-children

Hang in there, honey. All mom's struggle, laugh, almost give up and then dig a little deeper to make the best of it. Remember: the hotter the water, the stronger the tea!

Love ya!
Jerriann